Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2021, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 2021 11:41:22 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Auto Transmission fluid change

Hi folks,

I’m currently gathering the information I need to do a complete oil change on my Automatic Transmission.

Dennis and I have started the conversation and I thought I’d move it here because as always it is great information.

I’m changing the oil because my transmission was rebuilt and this would remove any ware particles.

I’ve run the van about 1,600 miles and the AT was changed before it came back to me.

Engine oil was changed as well and I changed it at 500 miles.

So, I’m about to do a 1,000 mile engine and AT oil change.

And as always I’m still learning. I wish I could watch videos but this list, Dennis, and VW friends are where my info comes from.

I now have a better understanding of the AT transmission and the final drive.

I’ve changed the AT fluid before by dropping the pan and the valves, and changing the filter up there.

But, now I’m learning how to change the gear oil in the final drive.

I looked there and see there is a pan to drop and a plug on the side to fill.

As everything is clean it was easy to find everything.

I’ve found the gaskets on these pans to be a challenge so I plan to have a friend help with the replacement of the pan.

Dennis is helping me gather the info for the correct gaskets and filters.

I have an additional transmission cooler so need to find the additional filter in that line as well.

So, while I’m gathering the parts can someone let me know how much AT fluid is needed for the AT drive? Any recommendations on favorite synthetic oil for that? Now that I write this I realize I might me a bit more then usual for the AT cooler and lines. For the “final drive” Dennis recommended I have two quarts available and that a good choice for oil would be,a 75w-140 GL5 synthetic gear oil .

Posting this for archives, your interest, and maybe someone out there forgot it was time to change the AT oil, final drive oil and wants to virtually do this along with me?

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto