Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2021, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:29:46 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: no start no click
Comments: To: Thomas Casal <thomas.casal@gmail.com>

If you end up purchasing a new starter I suggest you look into the model Dennis had sent us all a few months back - the price seemed very good.

Here is the post -

BT

If you think you need a starter consider this one. Since you say you can push start it I'm assuming a manual trans. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Gear-PG-17066-Professional- Starter/dp/B00KL51S6O/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=vanagon*starter &qid=1625611715&sr=8-4__;Kw!!C5qS4YX3!W_cFHYrBvPuPqWOzI6ewDqbBWNx8e4_uJTjDv071T6cNBS3LSTy1pkwPi5ywwg$

This starter for the money simply works, and works well. No more adding relays or slow cranking or other nonsense. No adapters needed.

As for trouble shooting you need to look at the symptoms to determine if the problem is the solenoid or motor itself. If the solenoid is clicking you are telling it to go. It could be the resistance of the solenoid circuit is too high for the solenoid to get the gear out and close the contacts for the motor. This is a very common Bosch failure. Again, for under $100 make the uncertainty disappear.

Dennis