Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:26:46 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: metric system
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com>

David,

I was born in Scotland, first 12 years of my life there. There was metric lessons. In Canada, early 70s, was metric in school. Later in university , and for the next couple or three decades in lab , all metric .

But…

I worked construction too. And that was all imperial measure building supplies. Now for the last decade , in metal work and cnc machining, it’s all imperial. Oh I get drawings and computer models of parts to make, in metric. But I convert to imperial as we have mostly imperial tooling. Now, in machining, it doesn’t make any diff to me if measured in mm or thou of inch. At this point it’s just numbers. Decimal inches just as understandable and logical as metric measurement .

All this background means a pretty mixed up view of measuring

Speeds…. Driving etc… all metric Volumes…. All metric ( it’s a no brainer ) Lengths… human scale… equal metric imperial Lengths smaller than one inch… equal metric imperial. Really small all metric Mass/weight… weighing myself is imperial , everything else metric Fasteners, nuts bolts… equal metric imperial

So mostly metric with exceptions. Anything scientific it’s metric. Machining it’s , as explained , imperial decimal .

Alistair