Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2021 13:53:20 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Auto Shifter slide repair  and bulbs
Comments: To: Mbob1950 <mbob1950@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the rib strip for my Auto transmission. It arrived. I need your address as I didn’t get it off the package. I know you didn’t expect anything back but I’d like to at least send you something fun for your efforts.

Also, I had the rib strip from Uniwerks arrive, and the original. I also had the GW LEB bulbs.

Here are som observations.

Lucky for me I had several skilled Vanagon owners camping at my house.

So, I asked for support. Here is what happened.

We only took off the top plate of the transmission box. So no need to remove the box or other parts.

We were already diverging from list and GW instructions!

We looked at the strip from Bob and the new one from Uniwerks. Both would work but the original from Bob was so nice I went with that. But, I now have a spare. I love having the original piece though.

The Uniwerks one looked usable but thicker and buffer to the touch and stiffer. So I was very grateful for the gifted original strip.

The LeD bulbs didn’t work. Only one. But one of my friends present is a electrical wiz and re wired them . Then they worked. But, when we looked at the directions, after re wiring them, the directions said to rewire them just as he had. So, not something I was going to do without some help.

So, the LED bulbs are not always plug and play from GW.

I cleaned out the area and re assembled. Just put the face plate back on and the screw for the shifter handle.

So, if fixing the strip or the lights you can access easily by just gently prying up the plate. I’m told the LED lights look great. Heidi chose white. I think they had options.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto