Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 2021 14:40:48 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Carat - 1991

As mentioned any number of times, I have a new to me 1991 Carat. There are many things wrong, but they are mostly old age problems. Things do wear out eventually and if not taken care of will bring down the vehicle, making it unfit for anywhere but the scrap yard. I have chosen to refurbish this one.

Remember Joel (Unca' Joel) Walker who used to keep all kinds af Vanagon statistics, often wrote poems and ditty's about Vanagons? Well, when he retired and gave up Vanagons, he gave me a ton of parts, a great many of which were new, many in sealed boxes and bags - all brand new. Now, I'm putting that stuff to work.

First step was to install a new engine harness, change engine oil, add new oil filter, (Joel gave me a case of genuine Volkswagen Vanagon oil filters), install new spark plugs, new ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor finger, fuel hoses. All parts courtesy of Joel.

Next came replacement of leaking brake master cylinder and switches. Then came replacement of rear brake cylinders, brake shoes and bleeding of brakes. New parts were courtesy of Joel.

looming project is the front suspension and power steering rack. I have all new bearings and bushings courtesy of Unca' Joel. Just have to get them installed. The power steering rack with tie rods is brand spanking new still in the original vacuum pack.

For the front wheels Joel gave me two brand new discs, which I have already used on another van. But I have all new front wheel bearings and races plus a box full of brake pucks. No brake caliper rebuild kits however.

An immediate project is to replace/repair the driver and passenger electric windows. The driver window operator motor is missing. On the passenger side the window operating system is all there. Just doesn't work . Could be wiring, Could be motor, could be the window operator. Joels gave me all the parts to redo all the components of the windows. No operators or motors however.

The van gets a new rear heater this weekend

eventually I must remove the dash and tackle a few faults in there but in th meantime as long as the engine is warm and