Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:34:41 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: When was the last time you re-packed your CV joints?
Comments: To: Dan N <dn92610@GMAIL.COM>

Thank you Dan for the endorsement.  The plywood box holding a brand new half-axle was for me a great decision and project.  The axle will get used eventually.  But the peace of mind....priceless.  Towing, waiting, coordinating between visit to repair shop and back to motel...all of this costs money....and time.  Totally blows all planned excursions.  With a Tintop, mounting the plywood box was super easy; I just used the existing female threaded fasteners on underside, normally used to mount Propane Tank.  85 Tintop.  Nice of VW to have these ready to go.

On Monday, October 18, 2021, 11:12:45 AM PDT, Dan N <dn92610@gmail.com> wrote: As Richard mentioned, carrying a spare half-axle is a good idea... btw any other spare parts in your van is a good idea too. It's not fun or easy to repair on the side of the road and under bad weather... for me the idea of carrying spare is you have it when you get (or towed) to the shop so they can put it on and you don't have to wait in a motel for shipping/part availability and the such... I carry a lot of spare parts... some I can replace some I don't.