Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 2021 22:39:56 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sound conundrum - input requested

I sure sounds like worn out CV joint.  Manual or Automatic?  I recently bought one of these assemblies; made a plywood box to store on underside of Vanagon, for long distance road trip emergency.  So no direct experience as of yet.  But, here you go:  GKN Loebro 251501203GX, 300669 Axle Shaft Assembly - VW

| | | GKN Loebro 251501203GX, 300669 Axle Sha... |

Yes, the CV joints groan and knock when under load; when load is lifted, the noise stops.  That's my experience anyway.  I think you have eliminated bearing problem possibility.  How many miles since CV joints were serviced or replaced?  Take van to a large empty parking lot; go in tight circles; CW and CCW.  I think you will hear your problem.

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 03:10:11 PM PDT, Vanagon Man <t3vanagon@gmail.com> wrote: That’s correct. It only knocks (more substantial than a “click”) when I have the accelerator depressed, under load.

When I take my foot off, it goes away.