Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2021, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 2021 00:09:36 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Cruise Control for Vanagon
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

I hear you when it comes to back issues . My disc issues are somewhat reduced now, but what gets me in longer van trips is my right knee. Stiffens up and painful. Should get cruise control . I have to limit driving time to under 3 hr stretches to keep that in check.

Hi folks, I cannot think of any one specific thing that enhances the Vanagon Driving experience more than Cruise Control.  Yes, 16" rims and appropriate tires and Subie 2.2 motor are also right up there.  I don't know what it is, ergonomics and all, but the standard Vanagon configuration is downright painful on the long haul.  It was one of my first upgrades.  It was a "Dana" cruise control system, I think sold by Sears, and I bought from a friend.  It was pretty complicated to set up....but it was like Magic!  It gave out after about 5 years.  Went to Kragen Auto Parts, and bought an Audiovox CCS-100; much simpler to install.  Back in business!  Love simple features like "Tap-Tap" to raise or lower desired speed.  The bad news:  no longer available; unless you diligently search Ebay.  But that system is so wonderful; locks in tight-tight-tight.  I have had to replace the Servo a couple times; I don't know it the problem was electronic or something vacuum-wise.  I know GoWesty sells an apparatus.  And of course the original VW setup.  Just saying....on long cross-country roadtrips like I recently experienced, cruise control is such a marvelous blessing.  Wondering what is your experience with Vanagon cruise control?  Obviously, GoWesty believed in cruise control enough to rig up their own solution.