Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2021, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Nov 2021 18:52:11 +0100
From:         Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>
Subject:      Re: Any advice on brake master cylinder?
Comments: To: dan h <dubblodan@GMAIL.COM>

Been there three times in the last five months (don´t ask!)

A lot of paper towels and dish towels. Get as much fluid out of the reservoir as possible before removing. Open a caliper bleeder (and pump pedal) to let, more than all!, fluid from the main cylinder empty elsewhere, but not in/on your interior!

Put rubber mat on floor. Put paper towels on the cross bream below the brake booster. Put them on the brake booster. Put them everywhere.

The mechanical aspect is straight forward. Replace gasket between cylinder and booster.

Refilling: Put towels around the reservoir opening. Don´t overfill, especially if you bleed with a pressure bleeder on the reservior. Removing it will spill. Use towels when removing pressure hose.

If still in place, use the stock clear plastic foil (between reservoir opening and the instrument cluster) as emergency trap for overflowing fluid. Better spill on the plastic than onto cluster and its surroundings. Additional towels help.

Final hint: Did I mention towels?!

Regards Raimund

Am 03.11.2021 um 18:25 schrieb dan h: > I am a total noob and I’m going to replace my brake master cylinder this weekend. Any sage advise or grave warnings before I start? > > From Dan Hoffman