Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2022, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:28:52 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: GW metal valve not sealing to new rear heater core
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <markmcculley@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Mark,

Yes,

I’ve posted about this same issue recently.

First, I noticed a leak started for no apparent reason on a low use rear core. I had replaced the valve some time ago with the GW metal one.

I replaced the O ring but it still leaked. I then purchased a new rear heater core and when replacing I noticed the same Bowed problem. I could feel a gap in the middle and when I took off the core and inspected it was now in a permanent bow,not flat. .

I put in another new O ring with the new core and it leaked less but still misted.

I then took it apart and had an experienced VW friend re assemble. I used another new O ring. It seemed a better but after running the van for a short time the mist slimy feel around the edge came back.

So, I’ve still not completely solved the problem.

I really wish the dealers would come up with a better rear core. It is nice that this one is cheap but no fun to keep replacing every few years and even then it often doesn’t work. The O ring also seems either of poor quality or design, or both.

I like having the rear heater but I’m beginning to think about just connecting the hoses and removing the rear heater and enjoying some extra space. It isn’t what I want but until a better solution is available it may be my current solution. Anyone out there with a solution for us?

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto