Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2022, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:09:53 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Inner tie rods
Comments: To: "thomas.casal@gmail.com" <thomas.casal@gmail.com>

Pay attention to the balance and roundness of your wheels/tires.  What happened when you lifted the front and wiggled? Dave B.the Boston one

-----Original Message----- From: Tom C <thomas.casal@gmail.com> To: ddbjorkman@verizon.net <ddbjorkman@verizon.net> Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Sat, Jan 22, 2022 10:41 am Subject: Re: Inner tie rods

Thanks Dave, yea I don’t think the urethane is the issue for the harsh ride above 65. I’m gonna put all new steering components on and see what happens. After that I’ll have to try and find an expert for help. On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 9:17 AM ddbjorkman@verizon.net <ddbjorkman@verizon.net> wrote:

Hi Tom.  Don't go back to rubbers!  I did it at one time, save money, the old ones lasted a long time, etc.  They wore out pretty quickly and I went back to urethane.  BTW, not all are the same.  Check out the different vendors and use list wisdom when making a purchase. Dave B.the Boston oneSo happy to be getting replies

-----Original Message----- From: Tom C <thomas.casal@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Fri, Jan 21, 2022 1:44 pm Subject: Inner tie rods

Hello everybody!

How does one know when the inners are warn out on a vanagon? I watched a few videos on it, when I hit a bump I definitely feel it in my steering wheel. I don’t think mine have ever been changed, I’m at about 235k miles. I have urethane bushings all around except the steering rack, haven’t changed those old decrepit bushings yet and when I hit about 65 70 my steering wheel is vibrating annoyingly. Gonna update to urethane bushing for the rack mount and do the inner and outer tie rods while I’m at it and install the steering stiffener. Just curious if those are the symptoms of a warm inner tie rod? I was ready to change my urethanes back to rubbers but I think my issue is in the steering rack now it’s the only thing I haven’t updated. Thanks for reading. Peace tom