Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2022, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Mar 2022 01:01:03 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another D15 connector failure example- The fix!

Further thought says that just the action of unplugging and replugging could do immense wonders as this will kind of be a "self-cleaning" approach.  If you did this 2 or 3 times, but before the first time added the extremely thin film of Vaseline where possible, you would have a clean connection that on both sides of the contact area of the pins which would now be protected by a tiny fillet of grease.

On Sunday, February 27, 2022, 04:59:02 PM PST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: I saw Alistair's photos of burned plastic connector.  Now, isn't it true that almost every electrical failure and problem does NOT occur in the connecting wire, but rather....at the connection points.  Why?  Mother Nature.  Corrosion.  Those stout, plated, beryllium copper male and female pins and sockets do a good job; but over time, atmospheric oxygen and water vapor start to do their thing.  Builds resistance due to corrosion.  High resistance = heat = failure.  How to prevent?  Might take some surgical precision:  that is, with strong magnifying lenses, good tools, and abundant patience.  Basically (after disconnecting main power battery), disconnect things one at a time.  Maybe use a Freon-based electrical contact cleaner to remove spruce up.  But then get in there with a fine tool to remove bits of corrosion.  After that, seal the job.  No, not with a coating like di-electric grease.  Rather, a conductive grease.....even Vaseline....the thinnest wipe.  This should put corrosion at bay for many more years.  (And sure makes future disconnection easy.)

Granted....there are potential major flaws in this approach...that you will actually screw things up. If I would have to guess, it would be that the majority of these connection issues have occurred in more humid environments, and even worse if Vanagon is housed outside.

NO!  I haven't gone through my van stem to stern doing this.  Huge task.  But everytime I am in the vicinity of things that are fairly readily visible, I do the best I can.  And that is why almost always when it comes to electrical issues, the first advise given is "clean your grounds".

    On Sunday, February 27, 2022, 04:20:28 PM PST, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote:  Just to update, I was at the burned out van stripping more stuff. Took a pic of the female side of the D connector. If you doubted before, this might sway :-)

https://shufti.blog/2022/02/19/vanagon-another-d15-connector-failure/

Alistair