Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2022, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:04:32 +0100
From:         Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>
Subject:      Re: Blower motor balance
Comments: To: Tom C <thomas.casal@GMAIL.COM>

Oh yeah, once the dash is out, do everything altogether. You don´t want to go in there every few years...I learned it the hard way.

Am 12.03.2022 um 19:02 schrieb Tom C: > Thanks For your input Raimund. I think I tested it with the resistor and > just listened to it run and it seemed fine. Hard to remember. Maybe I’ll > pull the air box again just to double check the blower motor since I’m in > there. Was trying to avoid going that deep since I just had the air box out > and resealed it all up two years ago. > > On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 11:33 AM Raimund Feussner<ray@v6bus.de> wrote: > >> You should run the fan only on full speed, with your thought behind. >> Next thing, on speed 1 or 2, the resistor will fail :-( >> >> Anyway, if you have the heater box apart anyway (too late for you now, it >> seems), it shouldn´t be a problem to check noises from motor or fan blades >> while not yet re-installed in the Van. >> Put heater box top and lower half together, temporarily, and test the fan >> without any resistor. I did that last summer. Found out it was not balanced >> well and got a new one from supplier. >> >> Regards >> >> Raimund >> >> Am 12.03.2022 um 16:16 schrieb Tom C: >> >> As always thank you Dennis… I think I got lucky for a change. Fan seems to >> be running fine. I’ll just not crank the fan on high from here on out. I >> installed the ram air control so On super hot days I was closing down the >> outside are and just recirculating cabin air. >> >> On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 9:43 AM Dennis Haynes<d23haynes57@hotmail.com> <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> >> wrote: >> >> >> I don’t know if this was answered and sorry for the delayed response. >> Normally the blower motors-fans get installed as received. However quality >> is poor and sometimes they are noisy, fan balance or motor hum, and the >> motors can be downright defective. On install I always test for operation >> and current draw not using the van circuit for power. I probably return 1 >> out of 4 or 5 motors. >> >> One you have one working as it should some thought needs to be given to >> prolong its life. There is almost no benefit to run at high speed for any >> length of time and except for initial warm up-defrosting the windshield or >> stuck in traffic there is little reason to even use it. Air will come in >> when the van is moving and there are bypass flaps to allow air to pas >> around the blower wheel. Also, see that #2 near the pictogram for the >> levers? Fan spped 2 offers the best heat transfer ot temp rise for clearing >> the windshield. >> >> Dennis >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List<vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> On Behalf Of Tom C >> Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2022 1:59 PM >> To:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Blower motor balance >> >> Hello everybody, >> >> Do new front blow motors have to be balanced or do they come balanced? I >> put a new one in and it melted my fuse when I was running it on high a >> couple of summers ago, so I only run it on medium now and it’s been fine. I >> know that circuit is a bit weak, I’ve heard people running their wipers on >> high and the fan melting the fuse. I gotta pull the dash again to mess >> around in there so was just curious if I needed to balance the fan while I >> have the dash out. Will that help prevent the fuse from melting >> periodically on high?. I also heard of using a relay on the circuit. Wonder >> what your guys opinion on that is? Last I was thinking of replacing the >> resistor with a keep resistor. Read up on it on thesamba. What do you guys >> think of that mod? Thanks guys tom >> >> >> >>