Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2022, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2022 00:39:17 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Manual Tranny, funky Reverse Light Switch

Also, I will add that when re-built tranny was installed, function of Reverse Light was fine as witnessed by my mechanic as I drove up and down the block testing out the tranny.  So presumably the bump is in the right spot.

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 05:30:05 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Ugh...that would be awful if bump in wrong place.  Lots of logistics and expense (not necessarily mine) to remove tranny, send to re-builder for take-apart and fix.  Then put back together, transport and re-install.  Shoot...do I really need a Reverse Light that badly?

    On Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 04:51:16 PM PDT, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:  I went through this with a rebuild from Gowesty. Ask David, the Boston one. Turned out the sleeve on the selector shaft with the bump was in the wrong place. Replaced the shaft and all better. Dennis  Sent from Surface DuoFrom: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> on behalf of Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 6:34:11 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Manual Tranny, funky Reverse Light Switch On my 4 speed '85 Vanagon, I recently had the transmission rebuilt; the way we did this was NOT to use my existing transmission; instead, my mechanic had a transmission rebuilt from some other guy's Vanagon.  This allowed us to do a one-day exchange....old transmission out, fresh transmission in, and my old transmission will be used by next customer.  My mechanic has done this numerous times; the local re-builder he uses has an excellent track record.

The problem is the Reverse Light Switch.  It has a "hair trigger"...meaning, you barely touch the plunger and the reverse lights activate.  I have tried numerous iterations of washers & thin shims to solve the problem; I am assuming my switch is my original one, transferred over.  At first, I thought I had it solved with the proper combination of shims to move switch away from transmission a tiny bit, but the problem is back.  Reverse lights come on in all gears.  If I totally remove the switch from tranny but still electrically hooked up, it's fine; but the moment I barely touch the plunger of the switch, lights come on.  Seems way too sensitive.

I am suspecting a bad switch.  Something funky happening internally.  Wondering if you guys have any experience with this issue?