Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2022, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 May 2022 23:16:09 +0000
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Alternative...just thinking
Comments: To: Gil Ngai <eyebawlgil@GMAIL.COM>

Longtime owner of an '87 Westy here and I just completed a four-day 1,500 mile trip so I had plenty of time to think about Vanagons and the alternatives.. A solo trip with a mission, I drove from here to Louisville (with a big detour along the way) for a family function, then to Nashville to pick up a large antique, then straight home on my first day of driving in which I'd buy three tanks of gas, about 800 miles during a 19 hour day.  I also burned the tank I'd bought late the previous night.  Got passed by a bunch of other cars, most of them in fact, and by plenty of big trucks but there were also the ones who passed me two and three times.  I had tools and spares with me and was glad not to need them.  It's comfortable with the Eurovan seats, it ran without a hiccup, and over the course of six tanks I got two over 22 MPG and averaged over 20 MPG for the trip even using the A/C about half the time.  It's seldom been this good in 16 years.  I'd *really* like more power but don't want to spend the money on a swap now.  I've owned four Mopar minivans and really miss their utility and feel this van is not as convenient but it's generally a pretty great vehicle with a lot of character and I didn't see another one on the road.  I wouldn't mind if it were a tintop instead, I'd take an automatic if it were better than the stock one (that I have never driven), and the aforementioned swap.  I didn't camp this trip and never popped the top, but instead stayed in parking lots at Cabela's on two nights and one in a cousin's house. It wasn't a family trip; it was a bachelor's trip and the van was a mess by the time I got home. We were actually working on our alternative, a '94 Dodge B350 highroof ex-wheelchair van and were planning to sell the Westy at the end to pay for it all.  I finally got it going and we were preparing to build it out but sold it to concentrate on other projects with priority.  I liked that headroom. If we want to go camping we still have the Westy but I have never slept well in it, either up or down.  The campin's fun but the sleepin's not, and that to me is a big deal.  I had owned VWs before but was not a fanboy, and we bought this as a third car (fourth, since there was also a motorcycle) specifically for camping but it's also functioning as our minivan for now.  With the current state of the new and used car market, anything to replace it would cost way more than if we'd made jump pre-pandemic but "hobby car money" might justify a Sube swap or I-4 that I would attempt on my own. It works fine but I want it to be better, so I'm torn. Stephen On Friday, May 13, 2022, 05:27:07 PM EDT, Gil Ngai <eyebawlgil@gmail.com> wrote: I have a similar Westy and I too frankly wonder why there isn't more discussion about this. Modern Toyota and Honda vans are incredible machines, so reliable and cheaper for entry in the long run. For sure an insane amount of work to convert, but we are all use to a lot of work on our rigs. So what's the reason not more people are dreaming like Richard??

Gil Ngai '85 Westy 2.5EJ Calgary, AB ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• *GIL NGAI* • *I TELL GOOD STORIES* *filmmaker • DP • **chief storyteller • instructor* * www.dayonemedia.ca <http://www.dayone-media.com/> *