Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2022, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2022 10:16:37 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Slider lock cylinder exchange resolved

Hi folks,

For the archives.

I wanted the slider door on the 84 to work with the original key.

I purchased a replacement handle and found the process a bit more tricky than the web directions implied.

With the help of Steve Sandlin from this list and another lock smith friend I figured it out.

I drafted directions to donate to the folks that sent me the handle.

I hope the directions find their way to others facing the task. I also took pictures.

But, add this task to my joyful list of successes!

Slider Key cylinder exchange 84 Vanagon

Customer directions on exchanging the key cylinder from a broken Vanagon slider door to a replacement handle

Author is not a lock smith and is blind so the directions may reflect this in terminology and procedure

How to replace your slider door handle with a new one with the original key cylinder.

When the replacement handle arrives it will be complete and ready to install. If you want to simply use as is you can. It comes with two keys.

If you want to use the new handle but have it work with your original key you must replace the key cylinder.

This is a simple job once you have done it once. It is a tricky job to do, the first time, without directions.

Parts list. You will need to take apart the handle. Needed tools Small flat head screwdriver. Clean work space with holder for small parts.

Here are the parts you will work with Handle Set screw Cylinder Spring Slider

The front of the handle has the hole for the cylinder All work described as if you are looking at the hole and the rest of the handle is to your right.

Steps On the old handle find the tiny set screw and remove. Set in tiny part holder With key in the cylinder gently rock and loosen cylinder and pull out. The small spring may fall out. If the small spring stays inside carefully remove it with the clever tool of your choice. Bike spoke works well. Now, the slider will be loos. The slider is a small piece of metal that moves back and forth when the key is turned. Note the orientation. It only works correctly in one position. The slider notch is toward the from and the piece is curved so that it matches the round shape of the handle Now with all these parts stored apart and safe from loss repeat the disassembly on the new replacement slider door handle.

Now to put together the new handle with the old key cylinder

First a practice run for orientation Take the old cylinder with the key in it. Take the new handle with no spring, slider or set screw Insert cylinder with the larger tab toward your feet. When the cylinder is fully inserted it will turn easily from left to right with the key. Because there is no spring it doesn’t return to center but you can feel the movement and note the orientation of the tabs at the end of the cylinder. Now pull out slightly and put in the slider. Put the cylinder back in and make sure the slider is moving correctly back and forth. Now for the part that most people get stuck on. Remove the old cylinder from the new handle and rotate so you are looking at the bottom.

There is a round area the diameter of the small spring. There is a longer tab and a shorter tab. The longer one is notched to catch the slider. The space between the tabs is different. One is smaller.

Take the small spring. It has two metal tails and hole in the center. For this to work you must “load the spring.” And place it correctly on the cylinder. To do this, squeeze the two spring tails together. Then orient the tails so they will go in the short space between the tabs and the center of the spring will go over the round receiver. The spring tension will hold the spring in place. Now be sure the slider is back in the handle correctly oriented. Slide the cylinder in as you did for the practice and make sure it is fully seated. Make sure it is turning easily with the key and the spring is working.

Now return the set screw and gently tighten and then back off just a bit to allow the cylinder to easily move.

You are ready to put the new handle back in your slider door.

I hope this was helpful.

Eric Caron

In my case I don’t think my old handle was broken I think that when they removed the handle to paint the van they lost the slider piece. It was missing from my old handle. So I now have a spare only missing the tiny slider piece.

Eric Caron 84 Westfalia with an increasingly happy slider door.