Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2022, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 May 2022 23:09:43 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Alternative...just thinking
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com>

I love my Vanagons. Love driving them. I've been back and forth between Alabama and Alaska a few times in them. . My fav is the Tintop. Such utility. Have owned 6 over the years. Last one was bought last year. Prol'ly the last I will ever own. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth. You horsemen out there will know what I mean. It's a 1991 Carat. It too is a bit long in the tooth and it shows. But expecting it to be the last, I took it on as a project. I went to the trouble of getting a ZERO MILES SINCE OVERHAUL Subaru ej2.5 engine installed, coupled to the Vanagon automatic transmission. Given my age, that baby should outlast me with no trouble. There are other things. Completely rebuilt the front suspension - bushings, bearing, brake discs, brake pucks, new p/s rack. While it's driveable, there is much to do. Electric windows need repair with regulators and motors, doors need new motors for the lock, and rear hatch lock motor must be replaced. I have to replace the front blower motor which means the dash has to come out. BTDT on another Carat. Meanest job of all I think. Needs a new paint job. This beast will keep me occupied for a while, but it is drivable, and I do love the added power of the EJ2.5 ENGINE. To go from 90 HP to 165 hp is a real kick in the butt!