Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2022, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2022 09:25:36 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Engine choices:was  You Never Know: A Story
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

After a tired Engine I chose to do a GW 2.3. Was it the best choice? No way to know yet.

The new to me 84 has a GW 2.3 and I have the records, 80,000 miles later it need a tune up and has a running issue that I expect will not be hard to resolve. Even as is we had a fun trip back from Florida.

That engine served the PO folks incredibly well. Their travel log is amazing.

If I were to do a different non original engine what would it be? Right now I’d choose a VW 1.8 new out of the box and installed with a kit from FAS or I could bring the van there.

But, with the 2.3 I’m very happy with power.and with new GW ignition I’ve removed most wiring issues.

Current issues are minor things like seeping rear heater valve and mystery ooze somewhere in the extensive cooling system. This is not do to the engine choice.

Friends are happy with their ford motors, others with diesel and others with Subaru.

All are machines that will have failures, all have some advantages.

I enjoy the talk but sometimes the dismissive tone toward the older engines strikes me as not correct.

There are advantages to the newer motors but when cared for well the water boxer is holding up just fine.

My tired 1.9 is now in a bay window with over 150,000 miles. It is proving a reliable and stable motor in that bus. It fits great and the owner knows how to maintain it. The price was low. Would a different engine be “better?” In some ways yes in some ways no. But every time he flies up Woodford Mountain in that 78 Bay going 55 with my old engine I’m impressed. Did I retire that engine too early?

So, Lets enjoy all our different upgrades but, be nice to those running a Saturn motor in a Vanagon. Yes, there is one,Read about it on the sister email list.

Eric Caron