Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2022, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jun 2022 09:46:27 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Temperature gage info and a question

I remember Bruce giving a trip report on engine info so I will try to do a simple version of that and as a question about transmission oil temp.

We traveled a 400 mile round trip that included about 3 hours of rolling highway and 1 hour of rural roads. And, two days by a river in the NH presidential mountain range. On the highway we traveled an average of 62 miles a hour with the high at 77. This included many steep up hills. My driver is used to driving a 1980 air cooled bus. This is not my usual driver. Temperatures about 75 degrees.

Oil temp went to about 140.F and stayed there. Oil Pressure about 40 PSI when running at about 3,600 RPM Coolant temp about 190 and not changing The only indicator that didn’t find a stable reading and stay there is the transmission temp.

For much of the trip it would be about 190 F. Then once the driver started to use the second gear to climb hills the temp would rise and eventually reach about 220 F. It would not cool back down unless we stopped the van for a break and then it cooled quickly. Even when there were fewer hills and we were steady at about 60 MPH for about a hour or so the temp would rise from 190 F to eventually reach 220 F. We would then find a place to take a break for a bit.

Van operated great.

I did hear a wine that gave me a nervous twinge of fear for the transmission, but it is the fuel pump that seems to get louder with use. The transmission and final drive are quiet.

So, I love the gage readings. The engine seems to run almost too good with those updated support systems.

The engine has incredible power and strength.

I found myself telling my driver that we didn’t need to go up the hills quite that fast. I have a GPS so I know she was going at about 50 to 55 MPH and RPM was about 42,000 when climbing in second at times.

Stil, I wonder why the temp would not cool down on the longer cruise at 60 mph?

This is an automatic trans. I’ll compare these numbers when my regular driver is on a long trip. She is much gentler on the van. My memory says my regular driver rarely saw trans temps. over 210, and usually less.

So, what is a too high auto trans oil temp? Eric Caron 85 GL Auto Westfalia Running sweet.