Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2022, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jun 2022 21:35:31 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Manual transmission lesson request

Hi folks,

So, I have learned a lot about my auto transmission but I have a lot to learn about my manual.

This was put in in 2021 and has some upgrades, posy traction, not spelled correctly and something about gear three and 4.

But, I’m sure from the outside it must be like every other.

So, this winter I will want to change the gear oil so that I know when it was done and there is currently no record of when it was changed. I would think a early change after rebuild would have been a good thing, but if not done I’ll do it this winter, while garage.

So, as I can’t easily read the Bentley or follow YouTube, Can someone talk me through the process?

Basically I want to have any parts like seals available and I can order those next time I do a parts order.

I felt what seemed like a lower plug similar to the one on the side of my auto final drive. It was low enough to be a drain. But then where do I fill it from?

And is it like changing the final drive on the auto and I need a seal or is it like changing the van oil and you just drain and refill.

Thanks for tips, And your favorite manual gear oil choice would be great to know.

Eric Caron Always trying to plan ahead.

84 Manual Transmission