Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2022, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jul 2022 15:58:03 +0000
From:         C Snyder <titantic01@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Report from Dennis Haynes Tech session
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

Thank you.

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Monday, July 11, 2022, 10:48 AM, Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

Hi folks, Some support from you fouks needed as a result of the Camp ground tech session on our 84 manual west done by Dennis Haynes.

We gathered Saturday morning at the engine compartment and there was a great turn out.

Some folks were brand new bus owners others were from the true roots of our community.

Dennis walked us through some of the first diagnosis he does.  And after the session did a bit more diagnosis.

People had lots of questions and folks were taking notes.

Here is my summery and Dennis can add to it if he sees this post. And at the end is a request for support from the list community.

July 9, 2022 Compression and Leak down tests at WRW

Cylinders 1 to 4 150 165 160 170 Leakdown Moderate Very good Very good Very good

Dennis  indicates this would mean an over all healthy engine that should not need major work at this time. Engine has 80, 000 miles Testing shows engine is not going into correct mode with O2 sensor when hot Cause could be most likely Bad wire in the harness Bad ECU, not likely but easy to check with swap out with good. Plugs seem fouled by running rich Returning to good operation could improve over all engine health Throttle body seems tired Eric not me but ,the mechanic, Did pin test and all looked good with voltages and resistance. Did find two injectors with high resistance but cleaned them all and greased and resistance is now in spec for all 4. Cleaned  grounds on cylinder and under the coil. One connector fell off and was replaced. Dennis also tested the temp 2 sensor and it was good.

Recommendation, Check with good ECU If same behavior Find bad wire in harness Likely either remove harness and bench test or replace with healthy harness.

A better throttle body would be a good thing to find

Once these are done move to next steps if needed.

Anyone out there have a source for a 1984 known good harness or someone making them?

Anyone out there have a source for a good 84 Throttle body. Mine is working but bearings and other parts a very worn. Possibly 85 would work as well. Depending on what wire harness I find

I have friends with known good 1.9 ECU so I can test that in the near future. We need to rule out the ECU but we expect it is the harness.

Also, our event was great. Still working on official numbers but over 105 busses, over 115 groups  Great weather and great fun. Dennis Haynes I believe was the last one standing Saturday night and one of the first awake on Sunday.

River tubing was a 6 on the scale of 1 to 10.  A bit low but nice over all.

Music stories, and laughter everywhere and only one bus came in on a flat bed.

Two David Bs from this list were in attendance along with Dennis and myself.

Eric Caron