Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2022, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 2022 20:39:41 +0000
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Diesel Questions

I think there are still diesel owners on the list, and perhaps folks that have owned diesels in the past. I'm a long time list member, owning two regular tin-tops and a tin-top Syncro, but have been without a van for some time.  Now I am in the market for a van, and really want to have a diesel syncro.  I know that combination wasn't sold in North America, but there seems to still be plenty in Germany.  I am retired military and can fly space-available to Germany so that location isn't an impediment to purchase. Here's my questions: - can the 1.6L DOKA (or SINKA) diesels be upgraded to the 1.9L turbo?  I know the regular vans can support that upgrade because I have seen them for sale with it. - what is the towing capacity of the 1.6L?  Please answer without laughing, I recognize that they are grossly under-powered!  Also, what would I expect for towing capacity with the 1.9L upgrade?  This is all about towing a teardrop trailer. - does anyone think that the DOKA would tow better than the tin-top? - anybody know the truck bed length on both the SINKA and DOKA? I really appreciate being able to access the collective knowledge of the list! Thanks a lot, Anthony in NE FL