Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2022, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:17:28 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Doing another rear aluminum bumper
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

Hey,

Looking for a Beta tester? I’ll pay shipping and more!

Light, strong, rust proof, and stock like look? What is not to love? And, Bell Industries reputation behind it! I’m happy with a not perfect version! I only want to know is it strong enough for one to stand on to get up on the luggage rack or rear of bus? My stock one on the front wants to bend if I try to step up on it.

I’m blind, but why paint? Would brushed or polished aluminum stand up without need of touch ups?

Eric Caron > On Aug 2, 2022, at 11:08 AM, Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: > > Four years :-) > > Well , since I measured the stock bumper and drew first model . > > Then this spring I had bumper 3D scanned. More or less fit my measured model. > > Then more computer modelling , time wasting . > > The main part of the bumper is quite fast. Cnc router cut panels, 3, then held in curve on a jig, top and bottom plates tacked on. Then full weld. I tig welded this one, but I’d mig the next. > > Router a chamfer on top weld, flap disc grind the bottom weld to blend. > > It was the endcaps that took the most time. I have I think four failed versions. Flat pattern cnc cut, then brake press to bend, then a front face and a wee little rear face welded. Grind and blend etc. > > Now that the endcaps figured out, not so bad , or slow . > > So all the hard work done. I’d say less than 4 hours to make one , not counting cnc machine cut time . > > Ab > >> On Aug 2, 2022, at 7:59 AM, Stacy Schneider <vwcrewman@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>  >> That is really nice, you must have 40 hours in it? >> >> Stacy >> >>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 7:54 AM Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: >>> Wanted something lighter than my previous and with no trailer hitch. Trying to mimic the stock steel bumper. >>> Got one made well enough to powder coat and use. >>> https://shufti.blog/2022/08/01/vanagon-making-another-aluminum-bumper/ >>> >>> Alistair >> -- >> 1989 Swedish Tristar with Aluminum gates and Atiwe 16" Wheels. >> Oldest son is an Eagle scout.