Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2022, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 2022 20:49:19 +0000
From:         David Boan <dboan@OUTLOOK.COM>
Subject:      AC Wiring

Hello Vanagon Types;

I am hoping that someone familiar with the AC wiring on an '85 might have an opinion about my plan to fix my AC wiring.

Quick background - I bought my '85 van in the fall of '84 when factory AC was not yet available. Instead, the dealer installed an after-market unit. It lives in what was the overhead closet, the same as the later Westy AC. I have the VW Wiring diagram for 85-86 and the wiring seems similar to what I have.

I was inspecting the wiring under my van and noticed two red wires that ran from the front of the van through the battery vent tube and connected directly to the battery. They had been wrapped in electrical tape that was unraveling and the insulation was looking questionable at best. I disconnected them and found they were the power to the AC.

The wiring diagram shows two red wires connected together and then going to the battery. One wire is on a 24a fuse, the other on 20a. The wires in my van went from the battery to the left of the radiator, and from there appear to go inside to the fuses under the dash. There are two loose fuse holders under the dash, one 30a and one 20a. I suspect those are the AC fuses and my next step is to confirm that by temporarily reconnecting the wires and then pulling the fuses.

This brings me to my question. I need to replace the bad wiring, and I want to do better than run wires to the starter battery. I have a house battery with its own fuse bus. Does it seem reasonable to cut the wires at the fuse holders, eliminate the two fuses under the dash, and run the wires directly to my accessory fuse bus, each with its own correct fuse? Is there a risk or downside I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Dave B. Boise