Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2022, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Aug 2022 10:47:14 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine oil
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@comcast.net>

Lots of opinions on oil - that is for sure. For a brief period I was using 10 W 60 synthetic but last summer after getting some work done on my engine at a well known VW shop - one of the mechanics showed me a sample of the oil which did not look uniform and told me they changed it back to 20W 50 non synthetic. This place has a good reputation and services both Audis and VWs including Vanagons and has lots of synthetic oil available - so it is curious why they went back to using conventional on my Syncro. In fact any place I have taken my van for servicing where the oil has had to be changed - it has always been conventional oil that it has been refilled with. Perhaps a cost savings measure - or perhaps what is best for these old motors?

Bruce