Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2022, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:21:16 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sorting out mechanical issues 85
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

Hi Richard,

Having Dennis do this is not an option. He is located many hours from me and has a full plate of vanagons in his location. Vanagon repair is his passion not is lively hood. He has a day job. I’m counting on Dennis and others to talk me through it but I’m not faint of heart and am feeling a bit desperate to get my van in at least somewhat reasonable working order. Locally I still have not found a proven vanagon mechanic. I have not been able to complete a journey in my van for over 4 years that has not ended up with some type of mechanical failure, or failing system, or some reason for concern.

I’m stubborn but am being worn down. In the past my busses and vanagons have been reliable except for one bus journey many decades ago.

I am beginning to feel like blind or not I’m as likely as anyone else to get the job done right.

So, I’ll do what I usually do. Gather as much info as I can, gather the parts. And either do the job alone or if lucky find a friend to help.

I so look forward to the day I get to go for a campout in this van and don’t worry about oil consumption, stalling, loud gas pumps, failing suspension, leaking injectors, poor gas mileage, wining power steering, leaking power steering hoses, the need to start twice,wining differentials, high transmission temperature, and now and then strange sounds from the brakes, not to mention constant CV boot rips. .

In all my years of bus ownership this beloved 85 has just about turned into a lemon for me. I insist on getting it right but with ungodly amounts of money and time put into it I’m worn down.

At this point, I’m willing to risk my life to do it myself.

This list has talked me through many repairs in the past and this fuel tank will be the next one. I know I need to be careful but it can’t be more dangerous then driving 60 miles with gas pouring down my engine. Eric Caron 85 GL Auto