Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2022, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Sep 2022 22:04:44 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Side door window success

Hi folks,

I gathered tips from this list and a couple weeks ago finally tried to improved my side doors. In all cases the doors would rattle when shut especially if window down or partly down. Also, when down the windows would move back and forth making a clunk like glass edge against metal.

In all I disassembled 4 doors on two vans.

I sound proofed two doors but the main reason for going in there was to address the window issues.

If you have never gone in your driver side door or passenger side you may be able to easily improve things.

In all cases I did the same thing.

Remove the door card Remove the plastic film Clean like crazy the interior of the door especially the rail that the window slides on. Reach down and locate the missing pad that would stop the window from going clunk. In three cases it was still in the bottom of the door. Lubricate all moving parts Glue the pad back onto the metal piece on the side of the door under the lock. Then test. Window no longer goes clunk. Where missing I used a cushion made from heavy duty velcro adhesive back. It held well and stopped the window clunk.

Then check door. Still rattling a bit? Check the two metal strips that go up and down. Likely there is no pad on the part that bends out toward the glass Replace the pad, I used soft side of adhesive velcro. Now shuts door and solid thunk.

No more window clunk No more window thunk from the back and forth rocking. No more rocking to mention when window is all the way down.

The reason I finally did this was the squeal one window made as it went up and down. I fixed that and more. Then another window started a little squeal so alll doors were done.

I also noticed a few tired plastic door parts and just recently Ken from Vanagain posted he has them. So hopefully he still does next time I do a parts order!

Now, consider doing your side door maintenance.

And, even though the plastic film was usable on all my doors, anyone have a heavy duty or sound deadening option to replace that?

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto 84 Westfalia