Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2022, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:32:14 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump question
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi list.

I actually have one of the inexpensive pumps, Dennis mentioned, as my back up in the 85. I think when Dennis sent me the link for it years ago it was under $30.00. With this recent repair,I was happy to get what seemed like a NOS Bosch pump because the old ones had a proven record of lasting a very long time.

Of course the new ones may last just as long, it is too early for me to say!

I actually am becoming a fan of the ring connectors as Dennis pointed out no vision needed to put the wires on correctly once the ring terminals of different sizes are installed.

The part I don’t like is installing the ring connectors on the ground during a trip.

My crimping skills are improving, but a spot like that that gets weather should be done really well.

I considered making a temp ring to male adaptor to bring in my van to go with the new style spare pump, but I’m now thinking I’ll just bring the old Bosh pump with the spade connectors. It was working fine other than not holding pressure for more than 30 minutes. I’m thinking it should get me home in the future. My main curiosity was, when did Bosh stop making the spade connector fuel pump?

I’m wondering how old the pump was. The box had a vW dealer sticker on it.

It is just a fun rare surprise to get a original VW replacement part! And, likely one that is closer to the vans age.

Eric Caron 84 and 85 Westfalias.