Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2022, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Nov 2022 22:37:01 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Improve comfort of Buddy Heater
Comments: To: David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com>

A strong word of caution though:  injection molded plastic parts in a hot environment is not good.  Reason:  plastic heats up....molded in stresses relax...part warps, this is called annealing.  Yes, it's pretty doggone hot right above a Buddy Heater.  I was reminded of annealing just last weekend; had a plastic bottle of pancake syrup in a pan of boiling water; so by physics, maximum 212 F.  Sure enough....the bottle annealed, bottom got all whacky, it could no longer stand up.  Of course it ALL depends on how hot and what compound of plastic used; but methinks it was easily above 212 F right above Buddy heater.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 01:04:27 PM PST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Very interesting regarding use of USB powered small fan; I also checked out USB power packs too--cheap, small, reliable.  Total cost is similar to a heat stove fan.  I guess the main thing we are learning from this is to MOVE the rising heat FORWARD...in one way or another.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 12:44:55 PM PST, David McNeely <davmcneely40@gmail.com> wrote: Thank you Eric for your careful and considered evaluation.  I do have a ceiling fan in the fire room at home, and it works very well.  Generally, the wood stove and fans take care of our house heat needs.  Recently, because we are getting up in years, and handling wood is starting to be a bit much, we installed a ductless heat pump in that room.  With the ceiling fan on, it warms all the lower part of the house without the gas furnace even kicking on unless it is pretty cold (like it is now, brrr, but not inside).  Another reason we put in the heat pump is just to reduce our reliance on gas for environmental reasons.

And for the van, you have convinced me that a fan like you use is best.

DMc