Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2023, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Dec 2022 22:03:16 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Road trip suggestions wanted

Hi All,

I have not posted in quite a while but find myself in need of route, camping, sightseeing, etc, suggestions, and am also game to meet up with people along the way if it can be arranged. First, in the interests of full disclosure I confess that I will NOT be driving my Westy Syncro which is buried under 4ft of snow in the backyard. I will be driving a Japanese market Toyota Hiace Camper, 4wd, 5spd, and diesel engine. No I have not gone over to the dark side, not yet anyway. This is probably just a passing fling but only time will tell. As for my trip that I am requesting your input on other than the starting point the route is somewhat open ended at this time. I will be flying into Nashville, TN sometime in January and then getting a ride to Cookeville where the van is. I may remain in the area for a day if necessary to pick up supplies and see any attractions there. From there I will head to Chattanooga to visit a friend for a day or so. It is from this point that I am looking for your ideas and input as I have never been to Tennessee nor the states I will pass through on my way to either Denver, Arizona, California, Oregon, or Washington. The final stop depends upon my finding a place to store this van long term. Your input for places to camp(the more rural the better), see, visit, hikes, etc, along the way is what I am looking for. I am also interested in off highway, backcountry routes that I could take rather than spend all of my time on the interstate highways. I hope to do some hiking on this trip and may pick up a used bicycle to take along as I have a race in February I need to train for. Currently I am considering a route from Chattanooga via either Memphis, or Huntsville then Memphis, then Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, to Albuquerque. From there it will depend upon where I store the van, either north to Denver where my son is at Denver University, or farther west to ????? As I said before I am also game to meet up with anyone along the way for a drink, meal, or if you happen to be traveling the same way and want to convoy for a bit. So, what have you got, thoughts, questions, ideas?

Thanks,

Mark in AK `87 Westy Syncro `96 Toyota Hiace 4wd Camper