Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2023, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:04:21 +0000
From:         "ddbjorkman@verizon.net" <ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vintage  machines
Comments: To: "rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET" <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Wait a minute.  I use my 87 for many cross country trips.  10 to 15 k per trip.  Sure, there are breakdowns, but never one that holds me up for long (some of the pain of a breakdown gone since in a beautiful area).  Thanks to this community and the VanAlert rescue squad, I have met many great people and mechanics.  Most times when on the side of the road, out of the blue, another Vanagon has pulled up behind me and helped out with info or repairs. Dave B.the Boston one

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sat, Jan 21, 2023 9:31 pm Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Vintage machines

Simply.....if you are going to run your Vanagon 2-4K/year miles on local camping trips, you are fine.  If you want to take your Vanagon across the country, say like 8K miles per trip, better rethink.

    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 06:04:30 PM PST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:    About 15 years ago, water pump on my 1.9 failed.  No problem.  Install new waterpump.  But a huge problem:  during disassembly, cracked the thermostat housing.  NLA.  I drove all across county, and got a used one at VW junkyard.  Mechanic smiled when he saw that. I have noticed....GoWesty now provides same.  Of course, it took a decade.  So, my Vanagon sitting on lift for a decade awaiting part. Meanwhile....Subie 2.2 motor transplant.  Super HP and Smog pass no problem.  Parts readily available anywhere in USA.  I love it!  Just saying.

    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 05:43:45 PM PST, Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> wrote:  Yes,

        This seems to be generally true for most car things.  My Honda was needing parts and the cost and quality had the same issues.

        But, I’m pretty happy generally with most parts I am getting for my vanagon.

And, fingers crossed one can be an optimist and a realist.  That seems like a nice combination.

Eric