Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2023, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Feb 2023 19:11:45 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Turning a Tintop into a Westy

Our brother Tom recently inquired.  You know....about those nifty seats on Westy's.  I lust for those.  With a Tintop, you've got the whole mess of somehow deleting 1.5 inches above head.....for all the reasons, headspace most importantly, and how to do it within budget.  I took Edwards advice, years ago.  And it worked.  So, just to refresh you guys.....attached is the conversation.  PS:  Tintop Vanagons are bitchen, and have many many advantages as opposed to Westy's.  But, I will gladly camp with all, under all conditions, anywhere, and have done so.  And we laugh at ourselves when comparing our rigs!!

On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 10:15:50 AM PST, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Hey Tom....No nothing about adding lights.  Only about having one of those fancy rotating seats in a Tintop.  I mean, you just push the whole mess forward.  You release the little metal latch on inboard side, to that Seat, so that it will fully disengage.  And then you just put it all together again.  Backwards.  It works supremely!  Tintop Vanagon now has elegant space, it's like a Living Room!  Suggestions:  first, adjust seat to fully upright position, this will make it easy so it doesn't interfere with Dashboard.  Next, while Passenger seat is removed, give a nice slathering of Vaseline onto seat rail surfaces.  Vaseline will not harm carpet....and you will surely touch carpet with bottom of seat.  Heck, after Edward's suggestion, I have been using this trick for decades!  It is wonderful.  With appropriate Vaseline on Seat Rails, you can do this in under 1 minute.