Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:19:40 -0800
From:         David McNeely <davmcneely40@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Getting Caught
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

Great Basin National Park, Summer 2009. New to me 1992 Campmobile, risked cross country trip without full maintenance, and van needed cooling system overhauled. So, sign at bottom of mountain indicated campsites available at the campground WAY up the mountain. Made it up, stopping periodically to cool down the engine. No campsites. Getting dark. Fellow at the Camp Host site said, "Why don't you just camp in the parking lot tonight?" So, we started to get set up and cook supper. Two rangers showed up, told us we had to leave. We explained the van's engine problems, that a sign at the bottom indicated camping sites available, and that we hoped to hike the rest of the way up the mountain to the tiny little glacier, and more importantly, the bristlecone pine woodland the next day. We were told again that we could not stay in the parking lot, despite what the person in the Camp Host site had said. We pleaded, given the condition of the van, and that we would have to drive down the mountain that night, then back up the next day to complete our itinerary. No dice. So, we drove down to the lower campground, spent the night there, babied the van back up the next morning, and made our hike. Worth it. For anyone who has not seen the thousands of year old trees, they are magnificent, awesome. mcneely