Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:35:46 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold Weather starting
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

Block heater is essential in subzero cold. When it's like that, sometimes the engine will not even turn over, even with a fully charged battery. Then too is the flow ability of the oil to critical parts thru the oil channels. Want to kill an engine? Start one in extreme cold and watch it throw a rod or something. Of course I'm talking about Alaska cold since I lived there for so many years. But there are places in the Lower 48 that get that cold also. Diesels are never shut down on the North Slope because they would never start again in winter. I have seen men do chin ups on propellers stored horizontally on aircraft engines in Alaska cold. I saw an aircraft engine fail just after lift off because even though the temp gauge showed warm, the oil in the engine oil sump was still a block on take off and there was not enough warm oil to circulate and lube the engine parts under the heavy load of takeoff. be sure your engine is well warmed up before driving off somewhere. It should be warm enough to put out hot air in your heaters before moving.