Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 2023 02:30:56 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Blunt....and extremely Negative
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

Evaluating this potential situation, and what to do about it.....I went for Subie 2.2 motor (I am in California with those stout regulations).  And recently, got a new 4 speed transmission.  OK...drivetrain is now pretty good.  Cooling situation with new SS pipes and new front radiator....that is pretty good too.  I figured, if motor problem, there are endless Subaru mechanics and parts, anywhere; for the rest of the Vanagon, a Bentley manual with pretty much any auto mechanic will do the trick.

But...I am a Mechanical Engineer.  Degreed, the whole deal, now retired.  One thing I learned...always have Plan B. If all fails, I will simply buy a Toyota Sienna; have some fun time outfitting it sort of like a Vanagon....and drive on.

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 06:06:46 PM PST, Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> wrote: I’m more optimistic.

Ken Wilford is building 2.1 engines and posting videos right now.  And I consider him on the young side.

At the recent Busses By the Bridge many busses were in the 60 year old range and yet there were engine venders there and many of the buses were running sweet powerful engines some with more HP then a 2.1 vanagon!

It will be from fewer sources but the interest and suppliers are out there.  And, at the event there were many people under 50 maintaining the busses.  Many under 40 and several in early 20s.  The vans are popular and still have a following.

But, I agree it never hurts to hold onto good parts if you have them.

        And, also good to share when you can.

Eric Caron