Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:41:00 -0500
From:         Steven Brower <brower@BROWERPROPULSIONLAB.COM>
Subject:      Re: Blunt....and extremely Negative
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

I don’t agree with this perspective entirely because it overlooks exceptions, in the service of sounding the alarm. While I agree there’s scarcity etc, I’m finding it a lot easier to get stuff for my van now for instance, than I did for my beetle back in the 80’s. I just had my transmission redone by someone with a reputation as a kind of wizard- absolutely the best - and he’s probably in his 40’s. He lays low because he’s got plenty of work, but he tells me about other shops, other people out there doing the work all over the country. FAS up in Maine is just finishing up with my van installing a brand new TDI, and doing lots of other restorative work. These guys have been running for over 20 years, innovating to this day. They didn’t look like they were interested in retiring and they have a crew of 7 master technicians in there. They will restore your van entirely, convert your engine; they’ll even turn your 2wd into a syncro if you want. If you respond by saying that’s all very expensive, I agree, but that’s kind of a different conversation. Places like Campervanculture in the UK or even Uniwerks Design are comparatively new and devoted to innovations and keeping the vans on the road. I actually think the van world is growing, not shrinking.

Steven Brower

BPL R & D Brooklyn Navy Yard 63 Flushing Avenue Building 280, Suite 521 Brooklyn, NY 11205 (347) 223-8877 brower@browerpropulsionlab.com browerproplab.com