Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:43:44 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Considering some big repairs and upgrades
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Hi Dave,

I moved the upgrade questions here,

Right now, the camper needs a few thousand dollars of maintenance. I am mulling the trade-offs involved. Some queries about that: 1. Stainless steel coolant pipe kit: How important? My camper has (installed 2 years ago) the GoWesty stainless inserts in the plastic pipe ends. No leaks there. 2. Metal coolant pressure tank: How important? Or just a new plastic one? The current one has not ruptured or anything drastic, just leaking at the cap. 3. I put on all new fuel lines in 2008. Is it time to do that again? Ditto coolant hoses.

David McNeely

My two cents,

Do the fuel lines Coolant, only if you see leaking or cracks

Coolant tank,

Try a new cap Or a new or used good tank.

I like the metal ones but what a price!

If you plan to hold onto the van even after you go electric put more into it. If you plan to sell cross fingers and go with the cheaper options. This would include a traditional muffler set up.

I’m currently doing two approaches on two vans.

One got lots of fancy upgrades The other got as close to stock upgrades as possible.

Both have strengths and concerns.

But, the stock solution van is very reliable and less expensive.

I’m interested in your future upgrades and your impressions as time goes on.

Eric Caron