Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2023, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:01:50 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Blam!  Bleeder valve destruction

Hi listers,

So, Still working on doing my own radiator change out.

New undamaged one now in the van. This one is made in South Africa in early 2020 according to the sticker.

I waited for a friend to help with the process of adding in coolant into the reservoir. He has done this work before.

Unfortunately. He lost patients when the temp sensor didn’t open and let hot coolant in and decided to open the engine bleeder

This is the bleeder I mentioned was stuck and I decided not to ever turn it.

Well he did, and it would then leak and could not be made to stop leaking.

I have some options now.

First, anyone out there got a good used 1.9 bleeder set up? Next, I could get a new plastic one.

I only check GW as the site is pretty easy for me to use, but other venders might have better options. There is a aluminum one there for 221 but I’d like to be a bit more budget on this as I don’t expect the 1.9 set up to last more then another 10 years or so. After that electric? Another option, my friend took a old 1.9 bleeder and removed the valve and inspected the set up. Two tired o rings. He suggests we replace the o rings and then exchange this one with mine.

That means just the piece that you open and close and not the entire assembly.

Anyone ever try that before?

This spare valve he will fix is working smoothly but the O rings are hard and broken, very likely like the ones in my current now leaking valve.

Thoughts and suggestions?

I know the “best thing is to upgrade everything to 2.1 but that isn’t an option unless I get a donor for the needed parts. In a way I’m glad he turned the bleeder as it clearly was in bad shape and even if not turned was likely to fail. So maybe best it happened in the garage.

Bleeder thoughts or sources appreciated.

Eric Caron 84 Westfalia