Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Apr 2023 09:22:48 -0500
From:         Spencer Allen <soxndubs1951@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: When & why replace heads?
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net>

Thanks to Eric, Dennis and all who gave great feedback on my leaking heads. I see everyone's opinion is that the heads should be replaced soon if not immediately. Small back story; I bought a new tin top in 1985 and it had leaking heads almost right out of the gate and VW never really admitted there was a problem and did bandaid "repairs"but some of the older listers here might remember the "secret" warranty repair that VW authorized dealers to perform . Anyway I didn't know to pursue this so I lived with the leaking heads for the 8 years I drove it. The end of ownership came after replacing 3 water pumps in a row and then the long coolant pipes rusting through and letting go on a winter's day. So my current 85 Westy I purchased in 1999 with 62K on her has always had the small leaks too again mostly while sitting graged during winter. Now at 104K on this original engine I guess, from reading all the replies to my post, i've been leading a charmed life these past 20 years in not having serious damage done to the engine. A while back when a non VW mechanic did a small repair I mentioned the leak and he poured in a bottle of Subaru miracle stop-leak additive and that stopped the leak for a couple of seasons. Being an old guy that has accepted the leaking heads as a way of life with Vanagons, I was reluctant but went ahead and bought the GW heads this winter. Now I have to find a competent mechanic in the Chicago area to put them on and get the tuning and coolant bleeding correct and hoping the cure isn't worse than the illness. If anyone has a suggested shop for this work anywhere in the Midwest please send it along. Thanks again to everyone who replied and I will report on the "post-op" when completed. Spencer