Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 May 2023 20:10:20 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Small trip report with a VW fix

Hi Friends,

Headed out Friday for a 300 mile round trip to see mom.

Trip to mom and back was mostly VT smaller roads but a little time on highway at the start and end of the trip. Van ran great. Temps for this new engine still at about 400 miles at that point in brake in. Coolant temp about 197, Oil at 200,Transmission at 150,oil consumption not evident. Average speed about 52 with the high of 77. No coolant loss.

Oil pressure about 40 at idle and 60 at speed. Idle in park about 950 to 1040, In drive about 980 RPM

Fuel Milage is about 16.7 miles per gallon.

On the way home at a country ice cream place, we went to leave and van would not start.

No starter sound.

I check fuel pump, it was working I checked chassis battery and cables tight. Voltage about 12.9.

Now what?

I slid under the van while calling a friend for his thoughts. I reached around until I could find the starter and traced the wires. One connector was hanging. It had a plastic connector. I found the home for it and replaced. It could be tighter but was not technically loose.

I slid out and Heidi hit the starter. What a welcome sound to hear it start right up!

My wife was very proud of me! I felt like a real part of the VW bus community!

The rest of the trip went great.

The gas mileage is the best I’ve seen on this van sense I changed from my 1.9 engine. That one got around 17 and on a great day over 18. So with A 2.3 in brake in I’m happy to get 16.7 on a 175 mile run on mixed roads. Previous engine with all the same support systems was getting about 13.5 average on most trips. Interestingly, oil temp is a bit higher now, Old engine 180 this engine 200.

But transmission seems much cooler reading 150 after 2 hours of travel on days with different temps one at 80 degrees and the other at 60.

, I’m very happy with the temps so far.

I just hope the scan gage is still reading correctly.

So, fingers crossed our next journey goes well. It will be a longer trip into Canada for Bus Fusion followed by going to the Thousand Islands.

Happy travels to all.

Eric Caron Traveling with the 85 Auto 2.3