Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2023, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2023 20:28:37 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Old radio?
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>

Eric, that's funny!  But me too.  All I want is AM/FM, and about every 3 years I use the Ancient Cassette.  I bought one for $15 on eBay years ago....it was from a 90 Honda Civic.  I even went "all out" and bought a harness and connector, again on eBay for a few bucks (still takes soldering behind, no big deal).  Works for me just fine.  Another nice thing is that it has simple LCD readout, and the font almost exactly matches VW digital clock font.  A brush of Satin Black paint to cover Honda Logo on cassette door.....and there you go.  Of course sound quality is fine, antenna reception is great, and....it's an old school Honda product....so it lasts forever.

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 01:18:19 PM PDT, Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> wrote: Hi folks,

        Anyone got an old Vanagon sized radio to spare?  Or a recommendation for one that fits nicely?

        I’m looking for a very simple one.  I’ve decided I don’t want back up camera or fancy things.          I just need as simple as possible.  One with a 3.5 aux input is perfect.  My 84 has an old tape deck with a 3.5 aux and I like the simple controls.

I’m happy with purchasing a new one, but would like something simple.  The van does have a sub woofer, so that would be nice to keep.

        I’ve heard new radios are less deep making them easier to fit.

Any tips on a new one, or if you have a simple old one on the shelf to let go, let me know.

I gave away a nice one 10 years ago but I don’t regret it as the person got years of use out of it.

The drag is I hate wiring in radios!  Luckily the wires are mostly labelled and all were just checked and are working correctly.

Eric Caron