Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2023 01:17:44 +0000
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Microscopic corrosion on electrical contacts

Funny sidenote:  I walk a lot, for exercise, I mix it up between sidewalks and boardwalks and alleys.  Recently, I spied something:  turns out it was a Giant tube of Dielectric grease.  I grabbed it.  Must have fallen out of lineman's toolbelt.  I will use it.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 06:08:11 PM PDT, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Excellent real world example!!!  Protection.

    On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 06:04:39 PM PDT, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote:  Not bare metal. Metal with protection. I know people who do outdoor wiring like broadband distribution and solar installations. They don’t use Vaseline. They use dielectric grease. The two are not equivalent, unless you are just looking for something colorless and greasy.  Jim On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 7:46 PM Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I think either one would work fine in most applications.  The point is:  just bare metal?, or bare metal with some kind of protection barrier against incoming humid air.  Consider a simple 1/4" Male blade connector, with a matching 1/4" Female connector.  With some sort of greasy coating, the two connect together, metal against metal.  But what is happening is that a very tiny fillet of greasy coating forms along both sides of the sharp metal to metal connection as the two are shoved together, and this is what helps prevent corrosion.  A barrier.  This is my theory anyway.  Without this coating, you have a very nice crevice for water molecules to lodge and start to go to work.

    On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 05:22:38 PM PDT, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote:  Vaseline does t last very long, dielectric grease does.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone