Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2023, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:41:07 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      West River Westies info

OK List friends.

I don’t think I ever posted this here but why not?

Here is the info we send to new campout participants for West River Westies.

Maybe some of you might want to have an adventure.

Eric Caron

West River Westies information for New Participants: Updated June 14, 2023

If you are a VW bus or vintage VW enthusiast, read on. This file will share the basic info about the West River Westies event.

West River Westies Host Contact: Eric Caron, eric.caron@icloud.com <mailto:eric.caron@icloud.com> cell: 802 430 4413

Co-Host Heidi Fischer

West River Westies is a campout for VW enthusiasts. Current, past and wanna-be owners/caretakers make up our community. Most arrive in a bus or beetle but others join us in a tent or other camper. All are welcome.

Date: The event traditionally happens on the second weekend of July. Official dates are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. However, more and more people come early and some stay late. So, early arrivals will have company but will start with a smaller group that will grow in size and energy.

Location: Bald Mountain Campground,1760 State Forest Road, Townshend VT, 05353 Phone: (802) 365 7510, Email: info@baldmountaincampground.com

We will have reserved a large group site. Campers join in as they arrive and make room for each other. There is plenty of room for all who arrive, typically between about 100 buses and other participant vehicles.

The way it works: Participants simply arrive and pay for the number of nights they will stay. It is a group rate and is roughly $25.00 per night. The same rate applies if you come early or stay extra nights.

No need to pre-register. Pay at the office on arrival. If the office is closed, come on in and go back to pay later. The campground is located on the West River which allows for swimming/splashing/kayaking/tubing as water levels allow. There are bathroom facilities with toilets and showers (somewhat limited due to the size of our group.) There are also porta-potties provided for us. Use of the porta-potties is strongly encouraged.

Important: It is critical that participants use the porta-potties, bring solar showers, and minimize use of the bathrooms. The size of our group has more than doubled over the years and demands on the campground water supply and bathroom infrastructure requires we reduce demands on the campground well, bathroom showers, and toilets.

There is also a playground. Ice and some snacks are available for purchase in the office. We have use of a recreation hall for the raffle and other group activities, especially in case of rain.

Arrival: Once you arrive you should locate your event hosts. Look for signs leading the way. Your hosts are in a White Westfalia covered in flower magnets. Here you will get your welcome packet and event information. You can also get your questions answered here.

Is there electricity and water? Yes, but it is shared. Don’t hook up your bus directly to the water source. It is shared by all. The electricity is also shared so use what you need and come prepared with extension cords and splitters. At times you may be disconnected at the source so folks can access electricity. Many others are now coming prepared with solar and battery backups.

Can we have a camp fire? Yes, but not at every bus. There are designated places for the fires and the fire rings should not be moved. They are large and to be shared. This builds community. Firewood is purchased at the office and is a very reasonable price and delivered by tractor bucket load.

Important, Be sure to purchase the firewood early, before 4:00 pm. This way it can be delivered to the fire ring.

Is the event kid friendly? Absolutely! There are always kids participating and they have a great campground to enjoy. The atmosphere is warm, considerate, and downright playful so perfect for kids, families, and for just enjoying the VW bus community.

Can I bring my dog? Dogs are welcome, but we are serious about expecting everyone to keep dogs on leash and not loose even at your bus. We also expect folks to pick up after their dogs. We usually have a great group of dogs and enjoy the fun and love they bring. If your dog is not good with other dogs or is not well mannered you may want to consider not bringing your pet. The campground owners are very serious about dog management and we want to continue to be able to bring our pets. We have a great reputation and want to maintain it.

What happens at the campout? This is the most laid back VW bus gathering out there. Bring the things you need to enjoy outside activities. You will have time to do your favorite things. Hike Bald Mountain or other local spots, tube down the West River, stroll around the buses and campground. Go biking, or relax with your musical instrument or listen to others. Or, hop in your bus and travel to places of interest in VT from antiquing to John’s Car Corner, our famous VW bus parts yard.

What should I bring with me? Bring your supplies in advance. There are few options for food and other shopping near the campground. If you bring all you need you can enjoy the event rather than trying to drive around finding food and supplies.

But, are there any special things I should bring? If you want to tube, then bring an inner tube or other river tube. But, there will be people that will share tubes. Bring your musical instruments, and the things you need to enjoy a real campout. The only other thing is to bring any VW bus, VW in general, or camping items that you would like to donate for the charity raffle.

What is cell coverage like? In 2021 those with AT&T seemed to get pretty good signal and this was the first time that anyone had any real signal. There is free wifi at the office. But, don’t count on reception. Be prepared for being out of contact.

Are there any scheduled activities? Only one, the Saturday evening raffle and potluck. In 2021, and 2022 it was proceeded by music provided by some very talented participants. It was such a success we hope to keep doing it.

Folks bring chairs to the lawn outside the recreation hall and enjoy the fun while winning items provided by fellow participants and our sponsors. The rest of the time is yours to enjoy your favorite activities or visit among the buses.

How does the Raffle work? The Raffle benefits Grace Cottage Hospital, a critical access hospital for the rural area near where we are camping. Participants donate items and purchase tickets. We also have some great items from event sponsors. You can purchase tickets when you come to the welcome bus, or when people walk around over the weekend with tickets. Price is $2 per ticket or 6 for 10 dollars, 12 for $20 and so on. You must be at the Saturday evening event to win items. Raffle item donations can be brought to the welcome bus ideally on Friday or by mid day Saturday. Donations are not required but help create the event and the fun.

Super Important,Campground requests: In order to keep this event going we must do a few things to support the event location. Please read on and learn what you can do to keep the event magical and healthy.

This women owned and run family business has been here for three generations. They enjoy our event but do have some requests of us. Please don’t enter a bathroom when it is being cleaned. Go to the other bathroom or porta-potties.

Please access the river through the designated paths. Don’t walk through camper’s sites, to take a short cut to the river.

Please drive very slowly, posted speed is 5 MPH in the campground. Kids, and walkers and bikes are all over. This is easy for VW bus people!

Seriously, keep your pets on leash and with you. We have a great reputation for picking up after our dogs, and our dog care and want to maintain that.

10:00 pm is when quiet hours start. This means turning off recorded music and such. But acoustic music and conversations can continue as long as you like.

We have a reputation as the most fun, most friendly, cleanest, and positive campers. The local annual campers and community often come back over the weekend just to be around to see the buses and enjoy the atmosphere. Is this event really as chill as it sounds? Yes! Come camp, relax, do the things you love and enjoy the magic of the VW bus community. Here is a link to a blog post by a new participant that sums things up nicely. https://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2021/07/were-b-c-k.html.

2023 Event Sponsored By: Black Bear Folk Festival, with VIP VW bus camping Bus Depot Busware, VW truck tilts and more Dennis VW Service, Dennis Haynes Greenvest, Socially Responsible Investing Go Westy, VW Parts Sam’s Outdoor Outfitters 74 Main ST Brattleboro vT SewFine, Custom VW Interiors Timothy Risk, Vanagon Washer bottle cradle Uniwerks , 3-D VW products Vanagain, VW Parts VanAlert, VW Bus Travel Support & Alert app Wolfsburg West , Air-cooled VW parts Black Bear Folk Festival