Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jul 2023 14:08:07 +0000
From:         Mike Miller <mwmiller6@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Opinions wanted: Overhaul or Eletric?!
Comments: To: Raimund Feussner <ray@V6BUS.DE>

Way beyond me both technically and financially. But it sounds like a fun project as long as you don't need more range than the electric provides. As far as electric choices I've been told that Tesla has the best batteries around. Just hearsay. Good luck and keep us informed. Mike

On Saturday, July 8, 2023, 12:02:19 AM PDT, Raimund Feussner <ray@v6bus.de> wrote: There are several options: -Take an off-the-shelf motor and controller, which are independently available from various vendors and can be soft-configured as you want. -Get a crashed Tesla, and move the drivetrain over to the Vanagon. How much of Tesla´s surrounding electronics need to be swapped, I don´t know. Youtube "electric classic cars" has done this a few times, even into a beetle and Testarossa. Can´t be that difficult then, I think -Get a crashed ID.4 to you stay in the VW family. I bet there are tons of other electronic components that need to be swapped over, because it´s a closed-source networked system.

I already, with the V6 TDI, needed the exact correct transmission, its ECU, and the instrument cluster to get the thing going. Back then, I decided the TDI to be my last conversion ever, because any newer generation of VW would have required to swap over ABS-ECU (speed signal), stalk switches (immobilizer), clusters, sometimes even keyless-access stuff. That wasn´t worth it.

I personally tend to the off-the-shelf solution, but then it´d be a non-tested, non-branded (at least no big players) version of "something that someone threw together". I was quite proud how I managed to stay true to the VW spirit with my previous conversions (theoretically, any VW Dealer was able to servicee my Van)

Now I don´t know what/if/how to do.

Raimund

Am 08.07.2023 um 07:23 schrieb poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca: > How are EV drivetrains salvaged from newer vehicles, and installed in > a conversion? I imagine there are lots of parts that have to be > removed, then installed the same way to make the drivetrain think it > is still driving the original car. Otherwise the car computer may > refuse to drive the motor or be in limp mode. > > Martin (Who only did the easy 1.6D to 1.9TD conversion on an 82 Westy) > On Friday, June 2, 2023, 2:32:04 p.m. MDT, Raimund Feussner > <ray@v6bus.de> wrote: > > > Ok, > so I brought my Van through three engine conversions since its 2.1L > days, it´s now > 2.5 TDI Audi V6 incl reversed Tiptronic. sine 2006 > > The "keep it stock, genuine" Vanagon, : It´s long gone, so keep that in > mind for text below! > > Turns out, this latest iteration is slowly biting the dust: > Tiptronic is leaking ATF (heavily between trans/engine, probably > converter/oil pump seal, if not both seized), converter clutch > definitely busted. > Engine is missing at least one rocker arm under the camshaft (visible > via Oil filler opening). Where is it? Who knows. How many more are > missing? Who knows. > This summer, camping season is lost anyway, so I could try something > new: electric drive. > > Now: > I could get the whole drivetrain repaired. I estimate (roughly converted > from Euro) > gearbox $3000 > engine (incl Turbo and stuff): $3000-5000 > > Idea: > Throw the whole damn Diesel out, and get electrtic. The Van would be one > of the first electrics in this decade. > Conversion prices may vary. I am in the E-vehicles business anyway, so I > hope to get most of the conversion done myself. > I only need recommendations for which motor/inverter/controller might be > best. Integration with Vanagon/AudiA6 is to consider. > > What are youre opinions? > 200+ horsepower, no need for 600+ Tesla. > > > > > Iterations before: > -2.8 12V Audi V6 1998 > -2.8 30V Audi V6 2000 > -2.5 TDI Audi V6 incl reversed Tiptronic. 2006