Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2023, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jul 2023 14:42:35 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ball joint boot question
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net>

Depending on the work to be done it is likely that the lower ball joint may need to be separated anyway. You may be doing extra work adding little or no value.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Eric Caron <ericcaron96@comcast.net> Sent: Monday, July 24, 2023 10:16 AM To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> Cc: Vanagon List <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: Ball joint boot question

Hi Dennis,

Great added info. I try to collect the proper parts, info, and tools before doing the job, especially when I have limited support time from friends.

Is the boot the same on the vanagon as on the late bus?

Art just did this job successfully on his 78 bay and is willing to do with me in the future.

Front end suspension work is in the future of the 84 as the bushings are failing.

But, you are correct. The vanagon hides it well. It drives and handles very nicely at the moment. Still I plan to address the failing parts this late fall.

I try to do as much as I can and then leave the rest to a pro. So, considering doing the ball joint boots and then leaving the rest of the suspension to the mechanic. But, the more I can do the better the price and the time commitment. One boot is failed and open to dirt. The other is just starting to fail and not yet open to dirt and such. I'm not sure how to test the joint but will try to figure it out. When assessed the boot was noticed but the joint was assessed at the time as solid and certainly usable.

PS boots on the 85 you installed are beautiful and a good example to me of what they should be like.

eRic