Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Aug 2023 07:05:18 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Electrical is not my strength

Hi folks,

During a recent campout with my 84 my electric cooler started giving me a code. I realized with the help of a friend that the cooler was not working and that the house battery was at 11.4. Strange as we had just driven a hour. We checked and no voltage change when van running.

Something was wrong. No house battery charge but the start battery was charging showing 13.4 when van running. This list has taught me that there is nothing to lose by looking yourself, even if you really don’t have much idea what to do. So, I looked at the relay in the front of the bus that combines the batteries. It looked in great shape with wires clean and solid and ground looked clean. I checked the fuses at the house batteries and they were all good.

I opened the start battery compartment and found a 40 amp fuse that was blown.

I went to the local auto parts stores but they were not open. One that is always open until 8:00 pm closed the door as we walked up at 4:55 with a sign. Staffing shortage. I usually have only about a 40 percent chance of getting what I need from the local part store anyway.

I ordered the fuses on line and will be able to report back next week.

The fuses are spade style but much larger than the ones I’ve seen in the past.

Now to see if changing it is the solution or it blows again.

Thanks to the list for teaching me to try.

A tip of the hat to Scot who always said. Lubricate everything, and look yourself when something isn’t working.

Eric Caron