Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2023, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Aug 2023 20:55:30 -0400
From:         Geoffrey Toye <geoffreytoye@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '81 Vanagon - Wind Noise Reduction

It's always been difficult to hold a conversation with my partner while cruising at highway speed in our ’81 Vanagon. (I know what you're thinking, you guys need a councillor). But no, it was the wind noise. I did notice one day that the noise reduced significantly if I pushed out on the driver's window. Checking the front window felt strip the rubber seemed hard and there was not much felt pile left. Probably the original at over 40 years old. I replaced the driver's side felt strip, P/N 251 955 453D, and what a difference it has made. Conversations are now very easy. The passengers felt strip is original too but is less worn and does not seem to be causing a problem, maybe because the passenger window is not used as much.

I looked at some online videos on how to change the felt strip before I started and it seemed like you just pulled it down from the top and up from the bottom. However, my seal was held in with contact adhesive. Easy enough to pull out from the top but no way was the bottom going to pull out of the door. I even pulled a muscle in my arm trying. I was surprised that the seal did not just snap, I pulled so hard. I decided not to pull the door card off and remove the window but just splice the new seal against the old as low as I could in the track. Managed to do it just 1/4’ above the lower window seal with a clean butt joint. You have to look very hard to see the join.

Just thought I would share this finding as it made such a difference in the wind noise for only a few dollars and an hour's work. Of course there is a downside, I can no longer use selective hearing and blame it on the wind noise. Something that probably can’t be fixed by a counsellor for a few dollars and an hour of my time.