Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2023, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:00:39 -0600
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear bench hinge?
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@ICLOUD.COM>

Hey Jeff

There are 2 Springs & Latches that work together to produce the desired results when converting

Bed back into Seat, 1 on each seat hinge,,, It seems odd to Me that both would go bad together so it may

be that You have only had 1 working until now ~ I’m guessing that either the springs are broken or Latches

are stuck ~ If You lift the seat bottom 90º from its Bed position & look under @ the hinge (Pass’side easiest)

You should be able to see the Latch in between to 2 hinge plates ~ When in good working order the Latch

should have already “sproinged” in to position & be pointing straight up & a bit diff’ to see but if You stick

Your finger in there You should be able to feel part of the latch & rotate it back toward You ~ If the springs

are broken I suspect the latch may be hanging down or if by some chance the latch pivot has gotten worn

& sloppy then the latch may have been pulled beyond its stop & so therefore not able to get back into proper

working position ~

Have not had any recent enough experience with seat hinge issues so just going by a quick visual of what

mine, in good working order, look like,,, Have had 1 in past that was stuck & just needed a bit of lube,,,

Hope this helps ~~~ ORR~DeanB