Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2023, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:54:20 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <ragnarhairybreeks@ICLOUD.COM>
Subject:      Controversial I made before last trip

It’s an old engine , oil pressures are on the low side. Yeah I know I need new engine.

But bear with me.

Quite often on the trips we make, we have to go slow up steep, in ambient temps in the mid to high 20 C . Sometimes it’s in the mid to high 30 C. I’m in second gear, or first, and more than you’d expect in G ( low in sycnro ) gear.

And starting the climbs with hot engine.

Yes, I need to put in an oil cooler.

This year I didn’t get around to that. I did. put in an Audi oil cooler , I mean replacement for the stock oil to coolant “cooler”. Same size but slightly different passages in it. But it’s not really an oil cooler and I didn’t notice tremendous diff .

But I did tap into the second stage relay for the rad fan, to a switch I can operate .

For what I do, and please take that in mind, having the switch actually helped keep oil temps reasonable on those climbs.

Yeah it’s a band aid. But I tested it hard and I was happy

Ab