Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2023, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:06:39 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ericcaron96@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: City water hookup
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <w.jeff.palmer@ICLOUD.COM>

Hi Jeff,

Just found your message in my junk.

I think both styles of hook ups are fine. I went with the GW as I think the door design is a bit better but I still have original Delta outlet doors on my 85 for electrical and tank filler.

I did lots of work years ago getting my city water working correctly. I had a leak after using it at a campground.

My advice is strongly to forget the Citi hook up. It causes more trouble than it is worth. The space is better used for something else. Maybe a vent fan if you use the original refrigerator, or a solar hook up. Or a secret bottle opener.

Often this connection leaks causing rust behind the driver side. Or adds to water left in the system to freeze over the winter. The pump runs in the tank even when hooked to city so it is all sort of unproductive. And, possibly damaging. I wish I had known all this before I wasted money and time on getting the City outlet to work. Another purchase was a pressure reducer to keep the campground hose from blowing my City water connections apart. When I got my 84, I inspected the city water hook up and the connector in the bus fell apart. I connected the hose directly to the pump and all is good. I taped off the city connector on the outside of the van to prevent someone from hooking it up. This was a fairly new GW outlet.

I will someday do something else with the spot or just leave it.

The tank set up is perfect for me. I just bring a small potable hose to fill the tank if needed. And this can also be hooked to a campground connection and used safely for any needs from dishes to filling showers.

I like having everything working on my van, but the city inlet is one I avoid!

Anyone out there using it on a regular bases with success?

Eric Caron